If there are any hotels which are so difficult to be classified, they are airport hotels. Some are so far away from the airport that sometimes one wonders why they are called as such. Nevertheless, it is not so much the distance that factors in our reviews but the how the hotels over value-for-money together with what they are doing to make themselves ‘fit-for-purpose’ as airport hotels.
Travelodge lures guests in with ‘A-ROOM-ATHERAPY’
When Travelodge announced that it would be UK’s first, budget hotel chain to trial ‘a-room-atherapy’ using a unique series of ‘ReminiScents’, Executive Traveller thought it was time to review its T5 hotel. About 7 million people stay in a Travelodge annually so this is one budget hotel not to be ignored.
Travelodge T5 is accessible from T5 either by taxi or the airport hotel shuttle though, one has to wait for more than 30 minutes in the evening for the shuttle.
The hotel is located within an industrial estate but on arrival it is quite noticeable that the airport is one of the busiest hotels serving Heathrow T5 and the reception desk look quite efficient. They handled all reservations effectively.
The introduction of the specially scented sheets is designed to evoke happy and comforting memories for guests, something which was welcoming at the T5 hotel because most of the guests were very tired travellers looking for an affordable place to lay their heads for a night.
The most important thing for our visit was not merely to have a scented pillow to nod off on but to see if Travelodge offered value-for-money. Travelodge is clearly not the hotel you will check into if you are seeking for some serious pampering but for a budget hotel, it offers value for money. The rooms are of good size and very clean.
All rooms are generously equipped with tea making facilities, flat screen television, and almost everything you would expect to see in a standard hotel except that it does not supply toiletries. Breakfast comes at a premium of £7 but there is a consolation price to look forward to especially as the Breakfast buffet and selection is very generous.
Travelodge Sleep Director, Leigh McCarron says that the hotel seeks ways to help guests cope from being away from home and loved ones by giving them a good night’s sleep. One of such ways is the new ‘ReminiScents’ which have been designed, to evoke comforting memories, acting as a catalyst to induce relaxation and sleep”
The ‘ReminiScents’ can either be placed inside a pillowcase or on top of a pillow. The sheets are free of charge for customers staying at the following Travelodge trial hotels: Edinburgh Haymarket, Newcastle Central, Birmingham Fort Dunlop, Nottingham Central and Heathrow T5. (Guests can also take the sheets away to use at home, as they will last up to a week).
Guests at selected Travelodge hotels will be able to choose from the following exclusive ‘ReminiScents’ free of charge:
1. The Sea – to evoke memories of holidays. The sea is the number one scent that Brits would like to be surrounded by as they drop off to sleep, comforting 45% by bringing back memories of happy holidays. Also ideal for those who are used to living by the coast.
2. Freshly Cut Grass – to evoke the scents of summer. Almost a quarter (21%) wanted to nod off to the smell of freshly cut grass, reminding them of long, happy summer days. Also ideal for those who are used to living in the country.
3. Baby powder – to remind guests of their children. The ideal comforter for doting parents, with one in five (18%) choosing to be surrounded by the smell of their baby when away from home to lull them into slumber
4. Home-baked Apple Pie – to create a home-from-home experience for guests. Baking and cooking aromas are the most comforting scents for almost over one in ten (12%) Britons
5. Chocolate – the ideal pick me up for women. The scent of chocolate and sugary sweets is the most comforting smell for 9% of UK women
What you get in a Travelodge Family Room
In your room
• Coffee & Tea making equipment
Available from reception
• Ironing board & iron
• Extra pillows/sheets/towels
Serves food and drink and can be hired for children’s parties
No room service
Car Parking Service available